Liver Transplant Pune
What is a Liver Transplant?
Liver transplant is a replacement of the diseased liver in a patient with end-stage liver failure with a healthy organ. Living donor liver transplantation is a safe option with high success rates and is absolutely safe for donors. Particularly for sick patients, where waiting can be perilous, we strongly recommend living donor transplantation.
When is a Liver Transplant Needed?
Liver transplantation is necessary when the liver functions are damaged beyond the body’s capacity to regenerate. In children and adults with liver failure due to long-standing liver disease, primary liver tumors or generalized diseases, a liver transplantation is potentially curative.
The following conditions may result in chronic liver failure:
- Chronic hepatitis with cirrhosis
- Primary biliary cirrhosis (a rare condition where the immune system inappropriately attacks and destroys the bile ducts)
- Sclerosing cholangitis (scarring and narrowing of the bile ducts inside and outside of the liver, causing the backup of bile in the liver)
- Biliary atresia (a rare disease of the liver that affects newborn)
- Wilson’s disease (a rare inherited disease with abnormal levels of copper throughout the body, including the liver)
- Hemochromatosis (a common inherited disease where the body has too much iron)
- Alpha1 antitrypsin deficiency (an abnormal buildup of alpha 1 antitrypsin protein in the liver, resulting in cirrhosis)
- Liver cancer